Bleacher Report Fri, 05/22/2009 1:55 AM
Although the biggest free agent fish have long been caught, there are still some pretty productive players swimming in the pond.
The 49ers threw out some bait that said "we need a star cornerback."
Dre Bly bit.
Bly, a two-time Pro Bowler, said it was a "humbling experience" when he was released back in February. The move by the Broncos was a salary cap decision as part of the Josh McDaniels defensive makeover, so one has to think that Bly can still be a productive player.
The signing was prompted by Walt Harris when he suffered a possibly season-ending torn ACL. With Tarell Brown still being a bit of a project and Shawnte Spencer being an average player thus far, the Niners needed a stud to take care of the great NFC West receivers.
If I had the opportunity to sit down with the newest 49er, these would be some of the questions I'd ask:
1) First of all welcome to San Francisco, the 49er Faithful believe in you! Now, it took you a little over three months to find a new home. With Haynesworth being signed just hours into free agency, what can you tell the Niner fans who have a bit of skepticism due to the apparent lack of interest in free agency?
2) We gathered that you spoke with your former teammate Isaac Bruce about coming to the 49ers. Do you feel that history can repeat itself, seeing as how you two won a Super Bowl together?
3) You've always seemed to have a knack for being a great tackler and forcing fumbles. With Nate Clements being on the other side of the field and having that same kind of mentality, do you feel like you two could be one of the toughest tandems in the league?
4) It was reported that you signed a one-year, $845,000 contract with the Broncos. With you signing a multi-million dollar deal just two years ago with Denver, what made you decide to come to this organization under those terms?
5) When you catch that game winning interception and run it back for a score, can you run up to Warner and say, "Thanks Kurt, I'm much o-Bly-ged!?" Read more...